In celebration of the 50th Earth Day, the team at Mielie Mailer decided it was time to offer something special to all our customers. So we did something pretty radical - we offered a 50% discount for all our products for 50-hours.
It’s the biggest discount we will ever give and it came at a very important time with a very important message:
The climate crisis is here.
The crisis' we face often seem insurmountable - a plastic-crisis of 100 million single-use plastic bags used by couriers each year in South Africa and a pollution crisis of 18.4 billion pollution-emitting kilometres travelled by couriers each year in South Africa.
But we are not powerless. While we can’t undo the mistakes of the past, we decide our future.
We asked brands to choose better late than never and were blown away by the response. Twenty-three local brands used the opportunity to further their aims to be kinder to the planet by reducing their use of single-use plastic.
Thanks to them, we have some pretty special numbers to share with you all.
The number of Mielie Mailers bought by forward-thinking brands during our #betterlatethannever campaign. Consequently, this is also the number of single-use plastic bags which will not be produced, used or discarded.
Globally, it is estimated that over 100 million marine animals are killed each year by plastic waste. While still a drop in the ocean, the use of our bags could mean the difference between life and death.
The amount of CO2 Mielie Mailer will offset to account for the emissions caused by the delivery of parcels to customers. For each gram emitted, we offset two. It's part of our carbon-negative delivery promise.
Rising carbon dioxide concentrations are the leading cause of climate change and the greenhouse effect. Thanks to the brands who bought during our #betterlatethannever campaign, there is a little less carbon dioxide in the Earth's atmosphere.
Thanks to those brands, 23 trees will be planted in Africa. These trees will not only absorb CO2, but they will also provide a host of other benefits:
- We empower local communities. Nurseries are created and managed by community members – they are set up in the area where the trees will eventually be planted.
- Early growth is managed by these communities. We try to ensure a plant survival rate of more than 90%.
- Trees planted are indigenous to the area, putting no strain on the local environment. They provide shelter to local wildlife, reduce soil erosion and naturally filter water.
- We don’t plant monocultures with an intention to harvest. Our trees are planted to mimic natural, organic forest growth as best as possible.
- Local communities also act as custodians to these forests, ensuring, as far as possible, that trees don’t fall prey to illegal deforestation and fires.
- We’ve partnered with Tree-Nation, and plan to only contribute to projects audited by Plan Vivo.
Mielie Mailers produce 30% less carbon dioxide emission during production compared to traditional courier bags.
So, before taking into account the compostable nature of our products or the tree-planting we engage in, Mielie Mailers are 30% better for the planet. In real terms, a Mielie Mailers produces ~10grams fewer CO2 emissions when made.
Thanks to the brands who joined our #betterlatethannever campaign, we have stopped 45 620 grams of CO2 from ever entering our atmosphere.